A: Overheating or prolonged application may cause injury, including burns. Heating beyond the recommended time may damage or destroy your TheraPearl Eye Mask. If you heat the Eye Mask beyond our recommended time, the pearls can get very hot and could burn you very quickly. If you accidentally heat your Eye Mask beyond the recommended time and see it inflating like a balloon, immediately turn off your microwave, wait for the Eye Mask to cool down, and then carefully dispose of your Eye Mask. When in doubt, or if your Eye Mask shows any signs of deforming, dispose of your Eye Mask – an Eye Mask that has been overheated should never be reused. Always test the temperature of the Eye Mask before applying to your face. Temperature should be warm to the touch, but not hot, and never painful. To be on the safe side, give your Eye Mask a gentle shake when it comes out of the microwave to help ensure heat is evenly distributed.